Spotlight Author: Gail Carson Levine

Monday, January 30, 2012


Hello! Annika here. Today on Spotlight, we're going to talk about one of my favoritest authors ever: Gail Carson Levine.
I came upon this outstanding author by chance a couple years ago. I was milling around in the paperback section, thinking there weren't any more good books. Boy was I wrong. Ella Enchanted caught my eye. It looked like it would be a gook book, so I brought it home and started reading... it was AMAZING! 
The fantasy world seemed so real, the characters right next to you, the danger your own! And Ella was just a darling, like an old friend. I read it again sometime later. Still I was blown away! 

Now, I will admit I've only read a few of Gail's books. But the ones I have read were superb. After I was done with Ella, I discovered the Princess Tales, retellings of old fairy tales that usually featured a princess or a to be princess. The only downside was that they were a quick read, as I read them in about two hours, even with distractions. But they were still very entertaining, with good morals, plots and characters overall. 


Now, for something that kept me just as captivated as EllaFairest. 
Enter Ava, a chubby, frying-pan-black haired girl, an orphan that was adopted by innkeepers. But there is one thing about her that is more beautiful than any of the other characters: Her singing voice. In the language they speak in the book, Ava actually means 'lark'. Despite her looks, she is one of the best characters I've read in a book in a long time. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes outstanding books and fantasy. 


And now, to a book I'm actually reading now: Writing Magic. I bought it because I kind of needed a writing book and I wanted to learn some of the master's fantasy writing secrets. It's really good and I'm about halfway through, but I can say it's improved my writing already and even induced a few new ideas!


Well, that's today's post. May the Force be with you!

3 comments :

  1. Oh yeah, I remember this author! I was such a big fan of her back in elementary and middle school, because retold fairy tales are one of my favorite things ever! I loved Ella Enchanted (I read the book until it was falling apart) and her princess tales (especially The Princess Test).

    Have you read The Two Princesses of Bamarre? I'd definitely recommend it.

    I haven't heard of Fairest though, so I'll definitely have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Gail Carson Levine! She writes a lot of really awesome novels!
    Another work I'd recommend by her(if you haven't already read it) would be "The Two Princesses of Bamarre." It's a really cool story and I believe you'd enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That sounds good, I'll have to read it sometime! :D
      Yeah, Fairest is a really good choice! :)

      Delete

comments make me smile. :)